OLPC XO-1 users who are running software builds 650-656 (from 2007 and early 2008) are encountering keyboard/touchpad freezing this month. Â Some XOs became frozen thanks to a bug in an early version of the firmware. If you encountered this, your XO should start as usual, but with the keyboard and mouse not working.
Here is a quick fix to update your firmware: you’ll need another computer with Internet access, a USB thumb drive (memory stick), a charger and wall outlet, and 10 minutes. (Alternately, you can send your XO to a community repair center – see the comments.)
- Download http://dev.laptop.org/pub/firmware/q2d14/bootfw.zip
- Take a USB stick, and create a folder named “boot”. Put the file in this folder. (the path to it should be /boot/bootfw.zip)
- Make sure your XO is plugged into the wall, AND has a working battery in it.
- Insert the USB stick into your XO. Reboot the XO. Wait until you see a message saying the firmware has upgraded successfully.
- Remove all power from the XO for 20 seconds: unplug the power cord AND remove the battery.
- Remove the USB stick.
- Restore power to the XO and turn it on.
- Hold down the “X” key on the keypad next to the screen as you reboot.
- Your XO should now work normally.
It is also strongly recommended that you
- Upgrade to the latest version of Sugar
as the recent releases have many new activities and other improvements.