As the mystery around the XO-1.5 unfurls, take part in something historic! Approximately 30 XO-1.5 B2 units are now available at OLPC in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Given that our supply is limited, we want our allocation to be fair and meritocratic. Here are some key points to remember for this round:
- Hardware and software developers will get priority over educators.
- Educators will get in on the next round – the hardware and software need to work first!
- Certain projects may possibly be vetoed if they are violent or unsuitable in nature.
- Worldwide shipping and customs/import fees are included in this participation.
Don’t know where to start? Use the following as general starting points for your ideas:
Need something more specific? Here’s a list of suggestions based on notes from Daniel Drake:
- Voice chat (maybe even VoIP? Imagine the XO doubling up as a phone!)
- Project Karma, the superb endeavor led by the OLE Nepal team.
- Physics activity – Can the make-believe “Physics” world interface with the real world? Think sensors!
- Media editing activity – Going beyond simply “Record“ing on the XO.
- Programming activities – Building upon Pippy, Develop and maybe even an activity for LOGO.
- Sustenance activities – Build/improve upon Simcity, FoodForce II, or be inspired by The Incredible Machine!
- Ebooks – take a look at the latest Read activity and its support for annotations and formats, and build upon it.
- Touchpad activity – How do I use the touchpad? A simple but much needed activity.
- Low level stuff – the new video driver, for instance.
The Contributors Program is a thriving program that has seeded a whole set of unique and interesting projects around the world. Dare to contribute a Project ranging across educational, technological, and/or outreach initiatives… Want to know more about Contributors Program? Read our FAQ at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Contributors#FAQ
Further XO-1.5 test units will likely not be available until December (around release time of the XO-1.5) so find your muse, get your ideas together, and send them in! Interested folks need to email firstname.lastname@example.org explaining how their software/development or other projects impacts children. Take a look at this form http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Contributors_program/Project_proposal_form and submit your proposal!