Help us spread the joy of education to children all over the world by becoming a Social Media Warrior. At OLPC, we have the tools, the educational materials, and learning resources to help transform the lives of millions all over the world. To do so, we need thousands of volunteers to understand what we have and what we are capable of doing for the lives of children everywhere – and we need three of you to help us get the word out to them using the social networking and media sharing sites that pervade our lives.
- We’ll hand you the keys to our YouTube, dailymotion, flickr-video, and myspace-tv accounts; work with our marketing team and branch out to other video networks at your discretion.
- Promote videos from media.laptop.org, olpc.tv, and other sources, including training resources for volunteers and staff in third-world deployments.
- Track down celebrity speakers for original source material and permission to use it.
Facebook Rockstar and Myspace Maven
- Work with our marketing team to grow our network of 1,346 Myspace friends or the 19,565 people signed up for our Facebook Cause.
- Reach out to help us find the eclectic types of short-term volunteers we need – the kinds that friends of friends of friends might know.
- Use messages to drive a critical mass of always-online, social-network-savvy members to major media outlets for news blasts.
Details after the fold.
We have the accounts, you have the skills, and you’ll be working with OLPC’s top-notch marketing team to pull this all off. (Think about it: how many people have you met who already know about a product that is not sold on their continent?) These are very part-time (<10 hours a month, work-when-you-want), low-key volunteer positions, and we ask for a minimum 3-month commitment and that during the last month of your term, you work with us to find and train a successor to the job.
This isn’t just for us. We need brilliant, passionate people in this world who’ll take the initiative to Do Something about improving education – not just at OLPC, but in a myriad of other projects working towards bringing the joy of learning to some child, somewhere in the world. You don’t know what the tipping point of inspiration might be for someone out there. The more tiny nudges we can spread out there, the more chances are that you will cause someone to tip – and set off a chain reaction that will… well, who knows?
Interested? Reply here with your plan for what you’d do with one of these positions; we’ll respond personally to every inquiry sent in before November 17, 2008. We want to find these people before the second G1G1 launch, so even if you can’t do one of these, please spread the word and tell your friends!
Many thanks from me and all the others at OLPC.