What is the Innovation Center?
It is a space for ideas and creativity. With volunteers and partners commited to improving the learning process, we have developed innovative and sustainable projects to increase the quality of education in an effort to transform communities.
How was it created?
In order to support the incredible potential of Nicaragua and Central America, the Extremeña Agency of International Cooperation for Development (AEXCID) through the Foundation for Development of Science and Technology (FUNDECYT-PCTEX) providded funding and supported the creation of the Experimentation and Free Software Development Center in 2015.
We believe the transformation of the educational community depends on the development of educators. This is why our projects focus on strengthening human talent through simple and low cost solutions to complex situations.
As our world evolves, we must adapt through the use of innovative learning methodologies.
Given the significant contribution of robotics to education and human development, we work to “humanize robotics” as robotics serves to strengthen 21st Century skills in children, teachers and families.
* Robots are built using free hardware, which allows the incorporation of recycled parts.
* Teachers use the XO Laptop to teach robotics, math, physics, natural sciences and community projects.
We utilize the methodologies and functions of four types of robotics platforms: Arduino, Icaro, PicoBoard and PiBot:
- An electronic and open source platform, Arduino is easy to understand and use. We use it to teach electronics and to demonstrate the functions of all of the components in the breadboard.
- Is a free hardware platform that can be programmed using the XO Laptop and TurtleArt activity.
- With light and sound sensors, this robotic board can be programmed using the Scratch activity. It is used by children in participating schools to play music and other programming activities contained in the XO Laptop.
- Is a Rasberry Pi robotics kit with ultrasonic sensors. It can be controlled using Wi-Fi.